$1,500 Maximum for one year • Three Competitions Each Year
Applicants must print out the cover sheet forms to include with their proposal packet. A checklist of what needs to be included in the proposal packet is provided under "Submission of Proposals" below.
UC MEXUS announces a small grants competition for travel, short-term research, initial planning, or other special one-time needs related to the seed phase of projects or programs conducted by University of California researchers or research teams in the areas of
United States-Mexican Relations
Critical U.S.-Mexico Issues
Latino and Mexican Topics in the Arts
Collaborative Research Projects with Investigators at Mexican Institutions
Seed funds are available to support beginning projects in the areas listed above; travel to develop collaborations or to present the results of UC MEXUS-supported research projects; visiting scholars from Mexican institutions; lectures and performances; public service programs; and other short-term needs for the initial development of projects. Requests are encouraged for funds to match awards from campus sources.Eligibility
Only University of California employees eligible under the UC policy for Principal Investigator status may submit proposals in response to this Call. Postdoctoral researchers and students are not eligible for this competition but might want to consider the UC MEXUS Small Grants Program for UC Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Researchers. Only one proposal will be accepted from each Principal Investigator, and the same proposal may not be submitted to concurrent UC MEXUS grants competitions.Conditions
Prior to funding of new proposals, all Principal Investigators must complete previous awards in this program, and final financial and narrative reports must be filed and accepted by UC MEXUS. The project is expected to be completed within one year. UC MEXUS support of the project shall be acknowledged in proposals to extramural agencies and publications or conference materials that result, fully or partially, from the UC MEXUS grant. A copy of each proposal or publication must be provided to UC MEXUS. Brief narrative and financial reports may be required.Budgets
Awards of up to $1,500 will be provided for a one-year period. Allowable expenses include:
- Domestic and international travel—including transportation, lodging, and meal expenses—for UC Principal Investigators, project participants, student assistance, conference participants, or visiting scholars or artists.
- Research supplies and services.
Items that will not be funded include:
- Salary payments to the Principal Investigator or other academic salaries, except student assistance for activities directly related to the project (no student tuition or associated academic fees may be included).
- Research assistantships or teaching assistantships for department courses or seminars.
- Equipment purchases for items over $500.
- Indirect costs or institutional overhead assessments.
- Reimbursement for activities that occur before the project period begins.
All proposals must include an original set of the following items:
- Cover Page with contact information, abstract, and signatures (pdf form available, blank or with form fields.
- Project Plan (not to exceed three pages): provide a narrative statement explaining the request for funds, including proposed activities and a time-line.
- Detailed budget of planned expenditures.
- Short curriculum vitae of Principal Investigator.
- Letter(s) of intent and short curriculum vitae, in English or Spanish, from additional academic participants or visitors for whom funds are requested (e.g., visiting scholars or conference participants).
- For travel of the Principal Investigator to a meeting, include the organizer’s invitation or acceptance of paper. Travel to conferences will be considered only when the request is related to reporting the results of previous UC MEXUS-funded research.
- For travel related to organizing and/or inviting participants to meetings, seminars, or courses, include a program and any promotional materials.
- Documentation of matching funds, if applicable.
Submit two hard copies (original plus a copy) of the proposal directly to:
3324 Olmsted Hall
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521
A signature from the P.I.'s campus Research or Contracts and Grants Office is required. A list of the offices serving each campus is available on the UC MEXUS website under “Resources.” Please note that campus offices may require that proposals be submitted for internal review well before the UC MEXUS deadline.Deadline for Receipt of Proposals
To be considered, proposals must be received not later than 5:00 p.m. on the following dates:
- Monday, February 4, 2013: For grants beginning March 1, 2013
- Monday, June 3, 2013: For grants beginning July 1, 2013
- Monday, October 7, 2013: For grants beginning November 1, 2013
Late or incomplete proposals, faxes, or electronic submissions will not be accepted. Proposals postmarked by the deadline but received later will not be accepted.Review Process and Criteria
Proposals will be reviewed by an internal committee and award decisions made by the director of UC MEXUS. UC MEXUS may request outside review. In addition to such standard review criteria as clarity, quality, and feasibility of the proposal, UC MEXUS will assign importance to the significance of the proposed project for society and for the advancement of scholarship in the discipline(s). Requests for support of visiting scientists and scholars from Mexican institutions are especially encouraged when the visitor will help to initiate or to enhance a collaborative research relationship between the University of California and a Mexican institution. UC MEXUS provides no pre-review of proposals nor will reviewer comments be provided following the competition.For additional information contact
Director of Grants Programs, UC MEXUS
University of California, Riverside, CA 92521
(951) 827-3586, email@example.com